Doctors in India have operated to remove a live fish from the lung of a 12-year-old boy. Anil Barela swallowed the 9cm fish while playing on a riverside with friends in the Khargone district of Madhya Pradesh state.
The Times of India says boys commonly swallow live fish – but this one went down the wrong way and entered the boy’s left lung. Anil soon started feeling short of breath and was x-rayed after the oxygen levels in his blood dropped alarmingly.
Doctors decided on immediate surgery and removed the fish in a 45 minute operation. Dr Pramod Jhawar, chest specialist and bronchoscope expert, said it was the first case of its kind he had come across in 20 years.
“The fish was live and taking its last breath when the bronchoscopy was done,
restricting the functioning of both the lungs resulting in low intake of oxygen,”